Congratulations on your new family member! We want to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible for everyone. So we recommend the following steps when introducing your new pet to your family and the household:
- Place the carrier in a master bath or small room and shut the door. Leave the carrier closed for a short time, to allow the cat to calm down after the car ride.
- After a short time, open the door of the carrier, and allow the cat to come out into the room on his/her own terms.
- Remember to put food, water, a litter box and some toys in the room with the cat.
- Keep the cat in the small room for a few days. Make sure you go in there several times a day and give him/her lots of attention in that room.
- When the cat is comfortable with that room, and with you, then you can open the door of the room to allow him/her to again come out on his/her own terms.
- The cat will be nervous once the door is open and will cautiously investigate it.
- Usually their curiosity gets the better of them, and they will begin to explore.
- If something frightens the cat and it runs back into the room, that’s okay. Just be patient, he/she will come back out. At this point, that room is their safe space.
Good luck! And if you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.